Sunday 4 December 2011

Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Published March 19th 2009
278 Pages
Genre: Young Adult Realistic Fiction
Stars: 5/5




Description via Goodreads:


“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls. “Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another. I am that girl. I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through. I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame. 
Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit. 

My thoughts:

I really loved this book. It's beautifully written and impossible to look away from. Lia's character feels very real and has a very distinct voice. I thought I would find the writing style distracting but it just added to the atmosphere of the story. It's not exactly easy to read, given the topic, but it's still hard to put down. I did feel that it dragged a little at parts and Lia rambled at bit too much sometimes but it always seemed to find its way again and became even more interesting. I thought the ending was perfect and fitting. Overall, it was a really intriguing and insightful read and I would recommend it to anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...